Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chai and Pear Oatmeal

Pears have never really been my thing. To me, they are just a little too similar to apples, but without the satisfying crunch. However, I find that pears work beautifully in oatmeal, so I buy some occasionally to switch up my routine.


The first time I tried pears in oatmeal, I simply spiced it with vanilla, but I found the result a little dull. Pear has a pretty neutral flavor, so I've learned to play around with stronger flavors in the oatmeal to dress up the pear a little bit. Cue: chai tea!



Using tea as a cooking liquid for oatmeal is a fantastic way to add depth to the flavors of your porridge! (Note: make sure you use a tea with a bold flavor! Otherwise, you'll end up not even tasting it after you've added your oats and cooked your porridge.) The best tea for oatmeal, in my opinion, is chai. It goes so well with so many fruits, and I think it complements pear marvelously.

Chai and Pear Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 Chai teabag
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 bartlett or anjou pear
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp each of ground cloves, ginger, nutmeg, allspice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Steep chai tea in hot water (I used Stash Chai Green). Give it at LEAST 15 minutes. I haven't tried letting it steep overnight, but I imagine that would turn out beautifully. The goal here is to get your tea water as concentrated as possible. Before removing the tea bag, give it a good squeeze to extract as much of the flavor as possible.
  2. Add your tea to the saucepan, add milk (I used almond) and bring to a boil. Next, add oats (and, optionally, a spoonful of milled flax). Stir.
  3. Dice and add the pear into the cooking oats.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. This will enhance the chai flavor.
  5. If you'd like to add any additional ingredients (coconut oil, nuts, dried fruit, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  6. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and serve with any other toppings (honey, nuts, more cinnamon, etc.) you prefer.
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. I've never thought of pears and apples being very similar. This sounds amazing though! The photos are great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this lovely idea! Think I just found my breakfast for tomorrow morning! :-)
    I came to your Blog via "Diet, Dessert and Dogs", and I am finding your recipes so creative that it´s difficult to decide which one to prepare first! I guess I will have to try them all! ;-)Yes, I am an oats lover...
    Greetings from Germany :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is so sweet. Can't stop smiling! :)

      Delete
  3. I just went to the store to get some chai so I could make this. Turns out there are a lot of different kinds, what type do you use? I bought one with sweet coconut, and one with Indian spice (which I assume is the "normal" chai), which do you think will be best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you're trying it out. They both sound like they would be DELICIOUS (I'm a huge coconut fan). However, I would try it FIRST with the Indian spice version (since--I agree--that sounds like the "normal" chai). Just make sure you brew it very strong. A pinner on Pinterest complained that this was "bland" (I didn't think so, but whatever). Taste it before you serve it to see if you need to add more spices or sweeteners. :)

      I use Stash Chai Green Tea. (I bought green tea because it's caffeine free [I'm intolerant].)

      Good luck!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. Here (in Denmark) I think we only have caffeine free chai, but it turned out that the ones that I bought tasted of the same, yet I made it with sweet coconut. It was really good, I put strawberries in it, but I almost think the chai in itself would be sufficient!

      Thank you for the recipe :)

      Delete
  4. I just made this with a Hazelnut Chocolate black tea, and added some toasted walnuts for extra crunch. So delicious! I'm making a par-cooked batch so I can bring it to work in mini plastic containers. So much better than the muffin I am always tempted to grab! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chai AND Oatmeal? its like a dream come true. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is there any way that i could use a chai k-cup instead of an actual tea bag?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...