Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Apple-Cherry Oatmeal

My family is quite accepting of my oatmeal love. In fact, when we were camping the other day, my mom made sure to have some rolled oats and almond milk packed for me. How sweet!


Even more sweet was what she bought for me: fresh cherries. I've wanted to use them in oatmeal for the longest time, but they're so gosh darn expensive! I mentioned to her that I've always wanted some, and much to my delight, she actually bought some!


I couldn't believe how delicious this was. Cherries taste delightful on their own, but cooked in oatmeal really brought out the flavor. Some fruits lose their flavor in oatmeal. Cherries seem to gain flavor!

Apple-Cherry Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 small apple
  • 5 or more cherries, fresh or dried
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil.
  2. While you're waiting for the liquid to boil, prep your fruits. Slice and dice your apples, and cut your cherries in half and remove the pits. Set them aside in a bowl.
  3. Once the liquid starts to boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. Add flax or chia if you'd like. Then, add apples and cherries.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon. Stir.
  5. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  6. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). You could also top with more cherries!
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...