Saturday, July 7, 2012

Banana-Berry and White Chocolate Oatmeal

Have you ever looked at the ingredients list for white chocolate?



Like most of my recipes, this particular one was sitting in my mind for a while. I didn't want to actually buy white chocolate chips, though; it's not an ingredient I would use a lot, and I knew my mom had a bag. Thus, my plan was to wait until I was visiting my parents to try this out. So that's what I did.


However, I also looked at the ingredients list as I was making it. Umm...how can white chocolate legally call itself "chocolate?" It's essentially sugar, milk, and other crap. Still, I was too emotionally invested in this recipe to turn back, so I continued. :)



The first time I made this, I didn't include the banana. I'll be honest: I hated it. :) It was just...not great. The second time, I tried it with banana and much less berries (and mostly blueberries, my favorite berry), and I actually really liked it. I'm not sure if I'll make it again (because of the white chocolate, which kind of grosses me out now), but it was definitely delicious enough to share! 

Edit: Here is a much better brand of white chocolate chips, if you're interested!

Banana-Berry & White Chocolate Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 ripe banana
  • handful of frozen berries (I used blueberry and raspberry)
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of white chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
  2. Mash up ripe banana and add to the oatmeal. Add frozen berries. Stir.
  3. Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add a pinch of salt and stir. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit), do so now.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and a handful of white chocolate chips.
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Love the colors and the polka dot towel too. White chocolate is kinda of strange now that you mention it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, very strange. I'm wondering if I could find a higher quality version of it somewhere. It's still not "chocolate," but at least it won't be made with hydrogenated oils--blech.

      Delete
  2. I just bought a huge box of white chocolate chips, and had no idea what to do with them, and then i remembered about this recipe. It tasted so good, better than i expected! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Cookies and Cream oatmeal I wanted to share with you. It's delicious! It takes 1 C sweetened vanilla almond milk (I suppose you could use 1 c unsweetened vanilla, with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/3 ripe banana to sweeten the oatmeal, please only use almond milk as your liquid) 2 T cocoa powder, pinch salt, I topped with white chocolate peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. It was out of this world!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...