Tuesday, September 25, 2012

German Chocolate Baked Oatmeal

I did it! I did it! I've been pondering this recipe for months, and it's finally a reality! Last week, I referenced my list of oatmeal recipes and how many of them were more ambitious, and I was too lazy to attempt them. This was one of those recipes.


Once I figured out the missing piece of the equation (the all-important coconut-pecan frosting), I couldn't wait to try it out. The other day, I finally did it.


Why make a sugary frosting when you can just make coconut pecan butter?!? Genius, right?! The other super awesome part about this is that you can prepare the butter ahead of time so you don't have to spend minute after minute after minute watching your grinder at work on an empty stomach. I prepared mine the night before while I was procrastinating doing other work (hey, I work 10-hour days. Cut me some slack!).


Anyway, I worked super hard to keep this recipe vegan so all my no-honey followers could join in on the awesomeness. :) You're welcome! If you really don't want the banana (warning: you can taste it), try swapping it with a couple tablespoons of maple syrup or agave. Or applesauce. Or...honey. :)

German Chocolate Baked Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/2 an overripe banana, or 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp coconut pecan butter for topping
  • shredded coconut for topping
  • pecans for topping
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a single-serving ramekin with non-stick spray.
  2. In a small bowl, mash banana. Then, mix in milk and vanilla extract.
  3. In another bowl, combine oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir.
  4. Pour into the prepared ramekin and bake for 18-22 minutes.
  5. Allow to cool in ramekin for five minutes or so. Then, take a knife and cut around the edges to loosen it. Flip it onto a plate or serving dish.
  6. Top with coconut-pecan butter, shredded coconut, and crushed pecans. Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage
**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks/sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much applesauce would you use if you do not have maple syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a guess, but try 1/4 cup. No more than 1/3 cup.

      Delete
  3. Why do you call it german? I'm german and I really don't get it :) But I love eating it for dessert. Aaaand I love your blog and almost all of the recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has nothing to do with Germany; it's named after its creator, who had the last name "German."

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...