Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Overnight Orange Dreamsicle Oatmeal

When I was younger, my family and I could eat through a gallon of ice cream within a few days. My dad and I would eat bowl after bowl in one sitting. The favorite in our household was plain old vanilla (usually topped with chocolate syrup). However, sometimes my mom got "fancy" and bought us Orange Blossom.

If you don't know what that is, it's vanilla ice cream swirled with orange sherbet. Mmmmm. It's the ice cream version of orange "dreamsicle," which I believe is one of the world's best flavors. :)

I spent a while tweaking this recipe in my head before I put it to practice. I badly wanted it to be vegan, and I wasn't willing to compromise that. It wasn't until recently (when I moved to the east coast) that I found access to affordable nondairy yogurt, and I realized it was the perfect missing link to this recipe.

Orange Dreamsicle Overnight Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: Overnight
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt (I like Amande almond yogurt for this)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 orange
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients except the orange in a mason jar.
  2. Run a paring knife along the edges of the orange segments, and then spoon/cut out the segments into the mason jar.
  3. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  4. Cover, and shake vigorously!
  5. Store in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Either eat cold or warm up in the morning! I typically don't like cold oatmeal, but this is one version that works well when it's cool! ...I still heated it up, though. :)
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...