Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cran-Apple Oatmeal

Growing up, my elementary school was across from my grandmother's apartment. On days when it was too cold to walk home, I would go to her apartment until my mom could pick me up after work. She'd always make me a snack, but it'd be something simple like peanut butter spread on saltine crackers. It sounds dull, but I loved it.


Along with the snack, she'd also have juice for me. I always thought her juice selections were strange and "grandma-ish," like cranberry or cran-apple. For some reason, though, drinking it at my grandma's house while I watched Arthur on PBS made it seem special, even if it wasn't my favorite.

That's what I thought of as I prepared this oatmeal. And while I took pictures of it. And while I ate it.


...And then I started craving peanut butter and saltine crackers. :)

Cran-Apple Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 3 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • large handful of dried cranberries
  • 1 small red apple
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Add dried cranberries (I minced mine first, but you don't have to).
  3. Dice apple and add.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, lemon juice, a tiny pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Stir.
  5. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now. I also added vanilla almond yogurt to make mine creamier.
  6. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and some more dried cranberries (or cranberry sauce!).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and perfectly indulgent for a holiday season breakfast (as in tastes indulgent, but is really healthy!). I love the story that accompanies it and cannot wait to try and make it when I go back to the states and can find cranberries once again.

    By the way, I found your blog a couple weeks ago when searching for a recipe for gingerbread oatmeal and I'm absolutely obsessed with all your amazing recipes! I've been totally inspired to make my breakfast a bit more exciting, love the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've actually been thinking of having gingerbread oatmeal again recently. :)

      Delete
  2. Your recipes are amazing and I'm totally inspired to whip up further healthy, oatmeal recipes. Thanks for sharing and please keep it going!
    I've linked an entry back to your blog for other oatmeal lovers to drop by your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...