Saturday, October 26, 2013

Salted Chocolate Pear Oatmeal

I've learned the secret. If you ever make oatmeal that doesn't turn out as spectacular as you'd hoped, just add SALT. Salt that sucker! Mix in salt, and sprinkle some more on top!


Much to my grief last week, I discovered that chocolate and pear just wasn't doing anything for me. To be honest, I was just super annoyed at the pears. I'm so over pears! They are potentially my least favorite fruit. I'm done with them.

But then I salted it, and everything changed.

Well, not everything. I still think pears suck. However, at least I had some fantastic oatmeal!


I suppose salted oatmeal isn't for everyone, but I highly suggest that everyone tries it at least once. It's a new and delicious experience. Who doesn't love sweet-and-salty combinations? Personally, chocolate-covered pretzels are one of my favorite treats during the holidays.



Salted Chocolate Pear Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 pear
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt, plus more for topping
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Dice pear and immediately add to oatmeal.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, another pinch of salt, and any other additional toppings (chocolate chips, sliced almonds, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. aw how odd, I basically had the same exact thing this morning, minus the extra salt...I'll try that.
    crumbled some Lindt chocolate over mine, I was drolling at how good it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Yep. Salt is wonderful on any oatmeal, I have to agree!
    Emily J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you try to make oatmeal that tastes like smores for fall (maybe even salted :)?
      Emily J

      Delete
  3. My colleague just directed me over to your website, and after seeing the first two recipes, I'm sold! Everything looks delicious, and I can't wait to make this Salted Chocolate Pear Oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks amazing! I would never think to add salt but I might try that next time. I usually do chocolate and peanut butter and I think this would be a nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your efforts to provide us valuable information.
    Upload Video to Instagram from Computer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...