Thursday, November 21, 2013

Salted Chocolate Chestnut Oatmeal

As I was looking up ideas for recipes using chestnuts, I kept seeing recipe after recipe of chocolate chestnut cakes. In these cakes, the chestnuts are pureed and mixed into the cake batter, so I imagine they are virtually undetectable in the cake (unless you have a keen sense of taste). I thought this was lame at first, considering I like using recipes that highlight my ingredients, not hide them.


However, the more I work with chestnuts, the more I realize that I don't actually think they're that great. They're sadly lacking in flavor, and the flavor that they do have is slightly...unimpressive. Thus, to use up the last of my chestnuts, I decided to steal this idea.



Knowing that I'd be bored with just chocolate and chestnut puree, I incorporated my favorite topping: salt. :)


The interesting quality of this porridge is that it is slightly reminiscent of Brownie Batter Oatmeal, without the banana. I could see people using chestnut puree in place of banana (but it would require additional sweetener).

Salted Chocolate Chestnut Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Keywords: stove top
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 10 or so chestnuts, cooked and peeled
  • 4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • pinch of salt + more for topping
Instructions
  1. In a mini food processor or Ninja-esque blender, add first three ingredients and puree until mostly mixed and mostly smooth.
  2. In a saucepan over medium high heat, bring milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add chestnut mixture, vanilla extract, maple syrup and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and a heavy pinch of coarse salt.
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting! If I hadn't already eaten breakfast today I would be trying out this recipe right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I had some fantastic chestnuts in England, but sadly found the chestnuts in New York kind of disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, this looks spectacular! I will be going back home to Zurich very soon and they sell freshly roasted chestnuts everywhere! My favourite winter snack :) I never thought to add it in to oatmeal! You are so inspirational! Also, really digging your new blog design! It's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing! It was such a tiny update, but I had to do it. The other colors were bothering me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...