Thursday, December 5, 2013

Sweet Potato Gingerbread Oatmeal

Sweet potatoes are so dreamy. They can be silky and creamy, or fried and crunchy. They can be salty and packed with herbs, or sweet and packed with spices. I do love me some sweet potato oatmeal.


This recipe is quite different from my other gingerbread recipes, mostly because I allowed sweet potatoes to be the star. It seemed pointless to mask the sweet potato flavors completely since I already have gingerbread recipes, so I intentionally elected to make this more of a "gingerbread-spiced sweet potato" recipe (and I'm pleased with the results).



Of course, you could always start with the spice amounts listed below, taste the final product, and then add more to satisfy your tastes. Think of the recipe as merely suggested amounts!

Sweet Potato Gingerbread Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used Country Choice Organic, multigrain variety)
  • 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato (or any winter squash!)
  • 1/2 tsp molasses (I used Blackstrap)
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add sweet potato, molasses, maple syrup, vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Stir.
  3. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (crystallized ginger, raisins, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage




**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. hi! do you prepare your own mashed sweet potato? :) if so, how?

    love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to cook my sweet potatoes in the slow-cooker, but if I'm working last minute, I chop them into small cubes and boil them for about 5-10 minutes.

      Thanks!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...