Thursday, January 2, 2014

Banana, Pineapple, and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal

Whenever I considered trying out this recipe, I would look at the name and wonder, "Why in the world would I combine those three ingredients?" Then, I would remember that it's much like a banana split (sans strawberries, which you could obviously include!).


Banana and pineapple are great together. Banana and chocolate are delicious. Pineapple and chocolate are surprisingly tasty. Obviously the three of them together have to work, right?


Right. The first time I made this, I made the mistake of trying to include a spice like cinnamon or allspice, but it just wasn't necessary. I don't add spices to my Pina Colada Oatmeal, so why would I add a spice to this? Some oatmeals (especially tropical-esque ones) just don't need it. There is so much incredible flavor in this porridge that additional flavors would be sloppy. Instead, I went big on toppings: shredded coconut AND almonds (in addition to the chocolate chips).


Boy, was I a happy lady (until I commuted all the way into Manhattan and realized I had forgotten my keys to get into work, but that's another story).

Banana, Pineapple, & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/2 a banana, or mashed (it's fine to use the entire banana, too)
  • 1/2 cup diced pineapple (I use frozen)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Stir in banana and pineapple (one at a time, not both at once).
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, chocolate chips, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your Oatmeal's and your blog. You are one of the reasons I have decided to write my own blog as well with my own life posts and recipes. Do you mind if I mention your blog in some of my posts to link to some of your recipes I like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I'd like this as much as I did! It's probably because it's the first time I ever made steel-cut oatmeal the RIGHT way haha. And also probably because pineapple and chocolate are the bomb diggity best together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With our research paper services, students are guaranteed quality services that are offered by professional writers are we are the best online dissertation writing service company.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...