Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pseudo Vegan Lemon Curd

I regret nothing about going vegan. The foods I once loved (steak, bacon, pulled pork) are just memories now, and despite being my favorites at one point in my life, I no longer crave them or feel like I'm missing out by not eating them.


The only thing that kind of bothers me from time to time is that there are foods out there that I never experienced. There are certain cuisines that I feel I'll never fully know, or cool desserts that I'll never be able to try. One particular food that has eluded me is lemon curd. The idea of a thicker, bright, citrusy spread is so enticing to me, and I first found out about it while I was just a vegetarian. However, I was slowly phasing out eggs at the time and didn't want to commit to a spread made from egg yolks. There are recipes for vegan lemon curd out there, but they looked so involved, and I did not want to use it in a recipe when I know most of my readers are looking for quick and easy breakfast solutions.

Speaking of solutions...I discovered one!


This is far from real lemon curd, but it tastes and acts just like it (or just like I imagine it would), and it's a heck of a lot easier to make. The recipe is vegan, but I'm certain people of any lifestyle would appreciate from how quick, easy, and delicious it is! Two ingredient lemon curd in thirty seconds? You can't beat that.


Here are eight recipes that would perfectly complement this "curd":

  1. Fruit Salad Oatmeal
  2. Lemon & Kiwi Oatmeal
  3. Coconut Banana Baked Oatmeal
  4. Lemon Poppy Seed Oatcakes
  5. Banana Baked Oatmeal
  6. Berry Kiwi Oatmeal
  7. Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oatmeal
  8. ...and a mysterious eighth recipe that will be revealed next week! Can you handle the suspense??
What will you use this Pseudo Lemon Curd on?


Pseudo Vegan Lemon Curd

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 1 min
Cook Time: 0 min
Ingredients (2-4 servings)
  • 1 6 oz container So Delicious Greek-Style coconut or almond yogurt (plain flavor)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp lemon extract
Instructions
  1. Whisk with a fork until combined! Use to top oatmeal, pancakes, or toast in a jiffy. Refrigerate leftovers. Use within one week.
  2. (Psst...I added a couple pinches of turmeric to mine so it would be a little more yellow in flavor.)
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, could regular Greek yoghurt be used for this? As amazing as it sounds, we dont have almond yoghurt in the UK ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! How much freshly squeezed lemon juice do you think would replace the lemon extract?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would actually use the juice of one lemon AND the zest. I find that lemon extract tastes more like the zest than the juice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...