Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Cherry Almond Fudge Oatmeal

Since going to my parents' house a little over a week ago, I've been hooked on my Fudgy Banana & Peanut Butter Oatmeal. Every time that I've had to photograph a new recipe--like this one--I basically had to force myself to say "no" to my beloved favorite. This recipe was a little easier to swallow since it's still "fudgy," but...no peanut butter?! The horror!


Luckily, I am satisfied with my decision as soon as I take the first bite!

I love cherry season. I think frozen cherries lack flavor, and dried cherries are tough and too chewy. Whenever I have fresh cherries to work with, I am a happy lady.


To my banana haters: don't worry, this is a hidden banana! If you're really afraid of tasting the banana, increase the amount of almond extract. It's powerful stuff--that banana won't stand a chance! ;)

AND...if you, like me, can't stand the thought of having your morning peanut butter, this recipe would be lovely with some almond butter. :)

Cherry Almond Fudge Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/2 a banana (can use a full one if you want)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 5 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • fresh cherries for topping
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Mash banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir.
  4. While you're waiting for the oatmeal to finish cooking, you can start prepping your cherries. You can use as many as you want, but you'll need at least five. Remove the pit, cut in half, and set aside. *Tip: I used the straw method to de-pit mine.*
  5. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with cherries, and add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (almond butter, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, etc.). 
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...