Saturday, August 23, 2014

Peach Almond Oatmeal with Pomegranates

Mmkay. Time to be vulnerable.

I've been somber lately. Maybe even a little hopeless.

My apartment does not offer great lighting. My window faces almost directly south, meaning the sun never fully shines inside, despite our big windows. I cannot take pictures outside without walking straight onto the bustling sidewalks of New York and lookin' like a fool. I try taking pictures near my bedroom window during the brightest time of the day, but they still turn out grainy and discolored.


I have a pretty great camera (the top-rated point-and-shoot on the market), but it functions best in natural lighting. It's not ready for indoor, dimly-lit food photography. Having just signed a lease on my first how-the-heck-does-it-possibly-cost-this-much NYC apartment, I can't even fathom buying a fancy camera at this point.

My recipes are receiving less hits and FoodGawker keeps rejecting my submissions. A few weeks ago, I just stopped submitting them altogether because even think they suck.

That's why I took my mental health break. It was more of a "my blog sucks and I don't want to think about it" week than anything else.


Regardless, I have to pick myself off the floor and give you something. I have so many great recipes ready to share with you...I just hate their pictures. :/

But first, let me share some #FarmFreshOatmeal pics with you! The following readers supported their farmers' markets and made these recipes with their local goods.

@healthymonkey_ made a delicious baked oatmeal with banana and fresh blueberries. Fantastic, Victoria!


@lenoresmiles took advantage of peach season and made Peach Pie Oatmeal! Looks delicious!


@juviet27 made savory oatmeal with her farmers' market goodies. So creative, Juliet!


Hooray! Thanks so much for sharing your #FarmFreshOatmeal pics, ladies! Keep 'em coming!

Peach Almond Oatmeal with Pomegranates

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 small peach
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of pomegranate arils
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Dice peach and stir into the oatmeal. (Peeling is optional.)
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, pomegranate arils, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I love your blog and am grateful to have found it. This new oatmeal look delicious--keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things start going better for you soon!!! I just wanted to let you know I love your blog and check it Every. Single. Day! You have even been an inspiration to create my own blog! Keep up the yummy work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't beat yourself up; I am continually astonished at how pretty you make oatmeal look! Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I've been missing your blog all week!
    I still think your pictures look amazing, and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work :) Have you tried reducing the ISO on your camera (that often causes grainy-ness)? Also, I find it's the camera LENS that makes more of an impact than the camera itself. But that's just the ramblings of a very inexperienced picture-taker!
    Anyway, I hope you feel better soon :)
    (By the way, that bowl is SO CUTE!)

    x Claudia (i.e. breakfastdramaqueen.com - since I made some changes to my blog I've found it hard to comment on other blogs. Ugh, technology)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't despair! There are so many of us who love your blog and look forward to your inspiring posts. I know I do! And I really couldn't care less what the photos look like, though I understand this is important for drawing new readers in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, if I didn't truly love all aspects of your blog would I have written about it on mine? Your pictures are always lovely. We are often our own harshest critics and don't see our work as others do. Maybe it would help to get someone you trust to look at your pictures before you post until you get your confidence back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Top post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers organic dried fruits I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...